Monday 30 November 2009

Tribute to Dubai, The Dreamer

My mother-in-law once said to me before I left my home country to work in Dubai. She said, "Hujan emas di negeri orang, tapi tak akan sama di negeri sendiri". I am not sure whether I quote her right but it sounds something like that. I was so pre-occupied with the prospect of leaving my home country for new opportunities, still, I understood her message. She tried to remind me of who I am and where I really belong. A wise and conservative woman, she is.

I am always uneasy with my father-in-law. That man is full of hot air and I have to limit my time around him so that I don't reach to the point that I get pissed off with his cowboy's mentality. In my numbered and very brief conversation that I had with him, I recalled him saying, "Di situ bumi dipijak, di situlah langit dijunjung". I did not really pay much attention of what he was babbling about back then. But I only realized months later when I was already working in Dubai that he was tipping me off something valueable about living abroad. It is about an expatriate's obligation to respect the host country, the people and their way of life.

It is so convenient to condemn and criticize the things one sees in Dubai which can be perceived as politically and ethically inappropriate compared to how things are in other places around the world. I have many expatriate friends who complained about this and that. Hearing too much of the complaining and bad-mouthing, it seems to me these people are so unhappy but I wonder why they are still here. I thought of what my father-in-law had said and decided that I should make the best of my stay here and channel my energy positively by being appreciative and focussing on opportunities so that I have limited time to complain.

At this writing, it is reported globally, that Dubai is crumbling down after it has sought for a standstill in paying the debts of its major players until May next year. There are people reacting in a clumsy way, pushing the unnecessary panic buttons. There are critical people criticizing the inappropriate and untimely manner of how the communication of such financial distress was done. Well, I say Dubai is no ordinary dreamer. Unlike its big brother, Abu Dhabi, which is richer and more conservative, Dubai has less natural resources but is very ambitious and adventurous. It has made big plans and pushed the limit to make them happen. For such a fast-pacer, trend-setter and risk taker, there is a price to pay. The fact that Dubai has stumbled and faced financial difficulty, does not mean that Dubai is sinking like the mythical Atlantis, though ironically, Dubai has built one at the tip of Palm Jumeira. These hardships are like any other life issues that one has to overcome. It is like hiccups that require some time to recover after gulping a glass of desalinated water. But to say that Dubai is collapsing or crumbling down is sensationally driven, pre-mature and unfair. I have lived almost 2 years here to tell that there are  many willful and extraordinary people in Dubai, who love and very much attached to this place, and who would do wonder to turn things around.

In the mean time, life is business as usual for many of us. We are having the double celebrations, the Eid al-Adha and 38th UAE National Day on the 2nd December. The cinemas are visited by the New Moon fanatics, the parks are packed with families, the beaches are littered with half-naked people and the mosques are patronized by believers.


6 comments:

[danial][ma] said...

hej! jumper...let me try to rephrase...'hujan emas di negeri orang, hujan batu di negeri sendiri, lebih baik di negeri sendiri'...correct me if i'm wrong...hehehhee...and 'di mana bumi dipijak, di situ langit dijunjung'...hope i say it right...yeehaaa...well, the malay proverbs are really beautiful, full of wisdoms...and the panic button has been pressed in UK by the finance fraternity on the dubai situation, i think just to worsen the situation (opportunists) but alas, there are always ways to solve it and at the same time dubai authority must be bolder and clever not to be another bail-out victim of international financial institutions...well, it's a good lesson for dubai and others too...success started with a dream, let the dreamer dreams...

niQue_naQ said...

hi jumper..i am too familiar with those malay proverbs too :) and those were the exact words my grandfather quoted when i left msia to further my studies in the uk..and being ignorant as i was, didnt really understand what they meant until i was there :p

i like this post, reminds me of other malaysian friends and families "mencari rezeki" in another country, guess some got harder than the rest..

Syamsulfaiz said...

It is good to read some optimistic and calmed opinion about Dubai this week. Some peoples just love the business of creating or being panic. For all we know these same peoples are probably waiting to snap a cheap bargain anytime soon in Dubai. After spending a year in this city state I have seen how fast a nation can progress with less politics and talks. What UAE has achieved and want to achieve is and will not be an easy feat for every nation. As a resident I salute UAE for being bold and working hard to fulfill its dream.
Dreams are windows of the souls.

Ms B said...

Waa... I'm impressed with Danial's malay. Maybe i should send my daughter to be tutored by him.

Anyway jumper, I came across with those kind. They love to complain but make no effort to integrate. I believe one must try to make things work for them or work your way around it. Understand the system and maximise your opportunities.

Probably it also explains how I managed to survive on this foreign land for years already.

hady said...

dear jumper,

totally agreed with you. this is life. people love bad news over good news. people like crap gossip rather than the thruth. people want to hear other people's weakness rather that facing their own weakness.

yes. the economic downturn changed Dubai from a world's BEST, becoming world's WORST. Yet, i will still look up for the vision they have.

Dubai is a trendsetter, and will always be! I love Dubai.

Jumper said...

Hi Danial....
Pandai nyeeeeee. Thank you for re-phrasing the Malay words correctly. Now I know who to refer to when it comes to check on certain proverbs. You are right. There are great lessons to be learnt from it all...

niQue_naQ...
I'm glad that it relates well to you and I'm sure if you ever got the chance to work far abroad, you will get along just fine..

Syamsulfaiz,
Thanks for the comments. Well, I am not one of those people who fancy pushing the panic button, but honestly I do snap some good bargain too, like buying the low priced stocks and contracting the rent at low price for 3 years. I bet you lawyers do too in your own merciless way..he..he..he..

Ms B,
Indeed, we have an expert among us. Perhaps Danial could make a series of blogs of the proverbs he knows very well apart from the beautiful photos he shares with us.
I really like your comment about the effort to integrate and maximise opportunities. It's a smart thing to do :)

Hady,
Dubai is really a trendsetter and the rider of the high waves. It really gets on many people's nerve and that's why they have bitching so hard about it. I'm glad to be here to see it went high, fell down and no doubt, it will raise up again...