Tuesday 7 July 2009

The Other

A friend that I met months back, asked about my wife. I said she is in Malaysia taking care of my kids and many others. I told him that she's a doctor. The friend that I met, then commented that doctors are not really up to date with the IT , gadgets and stuffs. Though I was reluctant to agree in general, I said, yes, my wife is not really into those IT stuffs. Well, she goes online in search for medical journals, occasionally she checks on my blog and others, but she doesn't trust online banking, she doesn't own a credit card and she doesn't give a damn about iPod, Blackberry, etc. She has been loyal to her Nokia hand phone, the basic model, until the day the phone failed her after years of service. She has bought a new Nokia now. I'm not sure what model, but it's definitely an upgrade from her old one since she can now send me photos. So now, though being miles apart, I am happy to see my kids blew the seven candles that signify the seven years of me being a father on the recent Father's Day, I can close up on Hadiff's medal on his Sport's Day and keep track of the growth of Aimi's front tooth which she had lost months back. My wife has also given me visual update on the renovation work of our house. Perhaps, she is not updating herself with the IT, up to the pace like some of us, but she's getting there when there's a need. It's just a matter of choice, definitely not an issue of capability. After all, an apple remains merely a fruit to at least half of the people on earth or even more.




Now that I have mentioned 'apple', I was having one for breakfast. I was thinking, if life in a year is like the red juicy apple, I have had the better half now and I'm looking at the other remaining half, which is turning brown so quickly. It's just a thought that crosses my mind, 'eat your apple quick or else it'll be badly brown, aged and wasted'. From now to year end, it's like a race against time to get things done and more things done. In between the bites of the half apple, I wish I will remember how sweet it is from the skin all the way to the core.

And by the way, I have booked my ticket home in the August. Indeed, I am busy pushing and being pushed at work during this high chocolate season, crunching my ab at the gym to shape out the 6-pack, running to get the engine started for the next marathon (how I wish I could be there running in the recent SC KL Marathon), yet I never miss counting the days to get home. Exactly, 32 days to go....

7 comments:

Ms B said...

Jumper,

I have an apple in my hands. Sometimes I wish I can follow my heart and take a bite, or even finish the whole fruit. It is always the 1st step is the hardest.

I think I'm getting there. Slowly but surely. Afterall, life is about taking chances.

Jumper said...

Ms B,
Remember Snow White, if it's not because the first bite of the apple, she might not get the wake up kiss from Prince Charming in the end.

Indeed, life is about taking chances. I hope you take yours wisely.

Azmir Ismail said...

You know Jumper ... I bit the first half nearly two years ago ... now, I am closing on the 2nd half .. the moment I finish this apple, I got a few more apples to finish :-) but these next few apples will take shorter time to finish as I know how to eat them... I hope ;-)

Syamsulfaiz said...

Jumper,
The greatest IT stuff I discovered is - Skype. I pray that the inventor will go to the 7th heaven for his marvelous creation.

I am counting days to go home too. another 2 days !

Note- you're right. my name sounds weird. It's too long. I scrapped it off already.

Jumper said...

Ome,
You just wrote the essential talent of being human. We improvise ourselves from time to time. I'm sure this year is better than your last. And your next year will be better than this year. This is great, but being human we may rush through things, look far ahead, juggle too many apples and in doing so we forget the steps we take in our life's journey. I wish I could name every apple that I bite and tell its story while chewing it; just the way the history of a bottle of fine wine is unfold before the great tasting....
I hope you have a better half year from now to December, to create an unforgettable part of your life story....

Syamsul (farewell Nasution),
I never try this Skype. I regard myself as highly ethical, that I don't use illegal software where its use is banned. Crap...it's just an excuse for my laziness in downloading and experimenting the back door of UAE internet access.
You're heading home? So soon? Well, happy homecoming. We'll catch up when you return, OK?

niQue_naQ said...

hi jumper :) my sister is exactly the same! she's doctor too, and only recently, like early this year, that she finally has an email account!! which she hardly ever opens anyhow hehe i guess to people who saves lives every single day, these are little mundane things that are the last thing on their minds :)

Jumper said...

niQ,
Yeah, it's pretty uncanny that those at work in the hospital can really escape the IT infection and stay focussed and passionate about their work. However, let's not generalize as there might be doctors out there who can complain in length about the unreliability of interceptor software attached to the patch in their BlackBerry.