Wednesday 3 June 2009

Fish Sandwich and Onion Rings

It was an unprecedented experience in my 8 years of marriage that I have to celebrate my wedding anniversary alone on the first day of June. To begin with, I am so proud of myself that I didn't forget the date. On that day there was no fancy dinner and no red roses to offer to my significant other. For my own consolation, I hold on to the cliche, 'it's the thought that matters'.

I called home to wish my wife the 8th wedding anniversary wish. Believe it or not, she didn't even think of the anniversary until I called her. Her excuse was she had a busy day with a list of thing to do on a Monday morning and also she hadn't fully recovered from the weekend trip to Genting with my kids and my relatives from Singapore. I told her that I just woke up at noon and had cereals for lunch with lots of milk. She urged me to treat myself a fancy meal for dinner.

We talked again in the evening. She just had a juicy seafood platter at Manhattan Fish Market with my kids. Then they had a chocolate cake with 8 candles.

A few hours later, on the other side of the world, I walked into Burger King to pack my favourite fish sandwich and onion rings.

It was a tasteless anniversary, missing out the right ingredients. But looking at the big picture, a good marriage is not all about counting and celebrating the milestones. Though it is nice to do, the heart of the matter is about re-visiting the pledge, fulfilling it and maintaining the connection between the two souls. The soul doesn't recognise border and physical distance but it needs the on-going connection. Before the end of the day, I wish that I will be faithful to my marital pledge and my soul has a lifetime connection to my soul mate. With the will of God, as long as I am able to keep the flame, I don't mind the solitary anniversary dinner of fish sandwich and onion rings, this year, next year and the years to come.

10 comments:

ms.d said...

happy anniversary jumper and wifey!

[danial][ma] said...

hej! Jumper...a very happy anniversary wish from me...may you and wife have a great life ahead full of joy and happiness and great health too...and the fish sandwiches in istanbul is simply delicious...and hope the fish sandwiches that you had as delicious as the one in istanbul...;-)

Ms B said...

Happy anniversary!

I cant remember if I had tasted the fish sandwich from BK but I remember liking their fish burger better than McD.

It's the thoughts that counts and in your case, it was seafood selection. Beautiful days ahead to both of you.

Inah said...

happy anniversary jumper!! :)

hope your relationship will last till the end :)

warm wishes from land of down under :)

orangmuar said...

Selamat ulangtahun yg ke-8... Semoga berkekalan ke akhir hayat.... Tahniah buat sekeluarga

Syamsulfaiz said...

Happy Anniversary mr and mrs jumper !

Your story sounds very familiar. Yeah.. that was how i celebrated mine last month.

Anyway remember to compensate the celebration when you get back to homeland. It is one hellofareason to have fun !

hady said...

ahah,

now i know that u are a romantic guy with all the red roses and stuff..

happy anniversary for u mr jumper
and teruskan menjadi suami romantis - lucky ur wife!

Jumper said...

ms. d,
Thank you. I hope your last letter sorts things out and gives you back the peace in mind..

danial,
Thank you. I'll make a mental note to taste the Istanbul fish sandwich when I get there so that I can compare.

Ms B,
Thank you. McD fish burger is too small to really satisfy me. The fish sandwich here in BK is a hammour fillet sandwiched by wheat long bread with a little garnishing. They also have the more common fish burger which comes with the buns.

Inah,
Thank you.I hope you too will find your happiness till the end...

Orangmuar,
Terima kasih.

Syamsulfaiz,
Well, I'll make it a point to do that compensation later in August. Thanks.

Hady,
My wife told me that I was a kayu masa kita orang baru kahwin dulu. Over time, I guess even the kayu develops the romantic nature. But I have not come to the extent sampai tabur bunga bunga ros sepanjang jalan like you have posted in your blog. As I always said, you're mat over. ha ha ha..

Nite Garden said...

Happy anniversary to both of you :)

Anniversary is only one day. The love that you have for 364 days are far more precious in which you both love each other without having to find a reason...

azizi said...

happy anniversary to you n your wife. pretty glad you're able to positively takes things in motion. not all people are able to do the same. Allah knows deep inside, and that connection will stay.
......
may many years to come will be enlighten through the endless love and trust. May Allah bless you and your family.