Friday 5 June 2009

The Anchor

This morning I woke up and remained motionless on my bed. With my face pressed deep into my pillow, I was in my own world, manning a fishing boat in the middle of a calm bay, protected from the rolling waves of the open sea. It is the day to check my anchor.

It has been a year since I work here. There is no contract to review. I am an associate, employed as long as I want to and as long as they don't find a reason to terminate me. As I breathed through my pillow, I fished for 3 good reasons to stay after spending a year here.

I start my work with a fresh clean white uniform, nicely pressed and perfectly fit my form. The company treats the associate rightly as individual. A tailor came to our premise last year to take my measurement for the uniform. So I start my work everyday feeling special and unique. And it's not just about the uniform, it is about how the company treats the associates in just about everything else. I don't feel cheated, overused and underpaid.




I like what I deal with at work. I am here to make chocolate. I am able to taste the fruit of my labour. It is rich, smooth and sweet. It makes me happy. Well, I do curse some machines, shake some people, raise my voice a bit, get disturbed with some remarks and all, but the chocolate calms me down.

I just have to be myself. I don't have to be a hero. I don't have to put on a big wig to become a drama queen or a drag queen. I don't have to kiss any one's ass or lick any body's balls. It is made clear from the beginning, I am here to do the right thing for the consumers and for the business. The right things are based on the principles which are believed in and lived by. Of course, there are occasional Egyptian ego, Indian idiosyncrasies, French connection and other office politics that some people play, but these are the insignificant noises. I'm happy to work by the principles, along with many others tuning in the same frequency with the right magnitude.

Satisfied, I laid down the anchor for it to meet the ocean bed again. I'm settled in the right place. Well, I got up to face the day. It's time to undress the pillow and toss the pillow case with other smelly garments right into the washing machine for a good Friday wash.

9 comments:

Nite Garden said...

You have the LAT's behaviours - The Leadership, Accountability and Teamwork.

I always love friday.. Off day for me as well :)

hady said...

you are very lucky

you dont have to face ass-kissing guy, or to deal with 2-faces guy,
or to work with office politician,
or to cooperate with best actor and best actress

i pray for ur success and to keep being down-to-earth, as you are now.

AiWongKa said...

At least you get to eat chocolate anytime, free of charge. Willy Wonka (WK) & The Chocolate Factory, MK...

AiWongKa said...

just a thought...tak takut ke...post your fullname on the net...family, names, company, etc etc, risk for identity theft...

Jumper said...

Nite,
You know what... I rather be a follower than a leader. Taking the lead can be very draining. Leading is less enjoyable and make me less playful. So when there's a better leader, I'd be happy to step back.

hady,
Office politician, best actor and actress are everywhere. It's just in my place, they are in a controlled atmosphere. They are not given the stage and the spotlight.
But if you work in a place with so many of the ass-kissing guys, 2-face guys, office politicians, best actors and all, and you can't beat them, well hady, join them. With time you can be the best among the pack. But you can also choose to stay true to your coolness and leave the sinking boat. It's your choice. Good luck!

Nyonya,
If my identity is to be stolen, it can be done one year back when I join Facebook. Generally, I trust humankind and it's affinity towards positivity. If you're positive in your head, you'll only attract positive people and things beyond. But I'm aware that some nuts could play some tricks. If that's the case, I'll take it like a bad luck on a bad day that I have to deal once in a while. An Indian friend of mine used to say, "My name is Sanjay XXX. There are millions Sanjay XXXs in India alone. So if I'm framed, I can choose to deny any identities, including my real identity and I will not feel guilty". I agree with Sanjay XXX.

Ms B said...

I like the second last paragraph, the in-between-the-lines. *lol*

I'm game for any development points but I dont take crap from anyone. When my stress level goes to the roof top, the lovely PA will pass her box of choc.

Syamsulfaiz said...

It is good to see peoples think positively in this turbulent time and challenging place. You are one of those peoples. One thing I have to learn very fast in this city are the various politics, cultural tunes and racial inclination in the office. You are correct to say that if you can't beat them, join them. But more often than not, honesty is always the best policy.

Good ! you survived mate !

Jumper said...

Ms B,
Keep up the good work in managing the stress level and the crap people produce so voluntarily. Have a great week ahead!

Syamsulfaiz,
Honesty is the best policy, I totally agree. But honesty can put us in trouble too, especially when we have to deal with people who manipulate to the perfection..

AiWongKa said...

Is your work as 'colourful' as what is seen in "Willy Wonka, The Chocolate factory"? Camel milk chocolate...hv you tried it?

there are fraudsters & criminals everywhere online & offline, i hv friends victims of identity theft...just beware. take care & regards.