Monday 16 August 2010

The Best Thing in Life is Still Free

This is me in my most superficial, shallow and basic being. When people bragged how Ramadhan has rebuilt  their faith, cleansed their mind, heart and soul, I just want to tell the world that in this holy month, I appreciate food more than ever. And considering that the temperature out there during midday can soar as high as 47 degrees Celsius, I must say, I value water and my cups of coffee too.   

Food and drinks comes in many form and style, but they serve only for just one purpose. Yesterday, I forked out AED200 to be served for food and drinks at a Ramadhan tent of Mina Salam, next to Madinat Jumeirah. It was a perfect setting, super service and wonderful ambiance but the food was below par in comparison to all other elements mentioned. Nevertheless, I finished everything on my plate. I was happy that it would fuel me well so as to keep me moving.




Today, I went to a mosque in my neighbourhood to observe human fuel in a different form and style. The food was handed from one hand to another in a line of men, it was then arranged like lights on parallel  runways. It was a mélange of simple meals. I didn't pay a penny for my portion. Yet the food has satisfied my basic need. I felt a deluge of fuel fixing my weary and deprived body. It felt greater than the great ambiance and the super service of a chic place. When they say the best thing in life is free, believe it. It's no bullshit.


4 comments:

Azmir Ismail said...

Is it a community based makan2 event ? yep, in a way, the best things of life are free ... just we didn't appreciate it before ....

hadiaruzilmar said...

someone told me that he wants to try the 'free meal' too but I told him those were prepare for 'others', no offend intended Mus... ;)

Syamsulfaiz said...

I think I know who you were talking about hadiaruzilmar...

Mus, I think a musafir is eligible for such generosity. Aren't we all far away from home?..yes .

Jumper said...

Pet,
It's an event to actuate Ramadan in the mosque of our neighbourhood. Muslims come out before sunset, break their fast and pray together.

Hadiaruzilmar,
None taken. I was just playing dumb and helping out to finish the abundance of food which otherwise be wasted since there aren't many 'other' in my neighbourhood.

Syam,
To be honest with you, even if there's a written label on the banana that says 'eat me only if you're poor', I'll still peel it and gobble ot like it's the last banana in my life. Banana is good for the rich, poor, musafir and whatnot. After the meal, are we not the same when we form our brotherhood line to start our prayers?