Monday 26 April 2010

Arty Farty Me

As a kid, I liked being in art classes. Well, I was no art genius, that's for sure, but good enough that Miss Rani, my class teacher had considered sending me, to accompany her favourite boy, Kumar, to some local competition downtown. We didn't win any prize but went home happy having painted something. Kumar continued to develop his talent and now an architect residing in UK. I, on the other hand, suppressed the little talent that I have in the name of science and now working in a factory making chocolates. Great.

Recently, I have decided to re-learn art, not to become a celebrated painter, but at least, learn to appreciate it. So off I went on a self-imposed mission to explore Art Dubai and to marvel at the contemporary work of art in the Middle East. Looking like an art collector representing Ah Keong's Kedai Tampal Tayar Basikal, I walked and wondered, stopped to flirt just a little bit with some promoters and snapped some photos of great creations that excite the remaining drops of creative juice in my head, which I try hard to preserve.


If you have been to a chocolate factory, this art piece looked like a block of cocoa butter waiting to be melted and mixed into the happy combo that makes a batch of chocolate base. I spend a fair amount of time staring at the piece while checking out that chic with a white belt. Marvellous!



This accentuates the hidden talent and the power of possibility. Who would have thought a mop in the bathroom can find its way to the international stardom.  Susan Boyle came into my mind.


 
The extremes in the Middle East, the faithful believer and the dreamer and the riches surrounded by  rubbles.  The American bills there say a lot about the power of wealth that mutes the unspoken and covers the unseen. What a strong political flavour!

It's not a photographed cat. It's painted in an unusual match of black and blue that makes a pretty face of a pussycat. Lovely.

This forlorn looking oriental girl delicately painted on a piece of wood. She reminds me of someone special from the past.

This potrait from an unusual angle reveals an admirable beauty. I couldn't help touching her neck when no one was looking. Me..pervert? Sometimes..



When  I was at this corner where the plants seem to defy gravity and grow in mid air, I felt dizzy, it's like I was having a supernatural episode of OBE (out of body experience). Weird...



To kill a mockingbird? A rather intriguing expression on canvas. I cracked my head hard trying to make sense of it. Any help on this?


A mother owl and her owlet having a good time hanging out and mimicking the bats in a starry, starry night. Very hynotizing, don't you think? I wish I have them framed in my bedroom. 


The thumb tales. Fascinating! Would be wonderful if it can be read like a book?


The world is flat and foldable, but still, the sun  rises from the same corner in Japan. A stubborn art. Period.



This is an amazing classic. It's simple and square, but I admire it the most.



This is it. The art collector posing with a proud purchase. Yeah, dream on....

So tell me which is your pick?

4 comments:

Syamsulfaiz said...

Bro, good to see you blogging again. Where is this place? I have an empty painting stand at home waiting for its first masterpiece. But I dont know where to look for here in Dubei.

Ms B said...

I like the girl with her hair pulled up into a bun.

ps: Is there any msian restaurant over there?

Jumper said...

Syam,
Park you car at Jumeirah Madinat, walk out from its facade, take the brige to cross the canal and then turn left. That's the place.
Well.. if you're willing to fork out one or two months salary (not to suggest that I actually know how much you earn, I just have it measured based on my own pocket) to bring home a piece, then go for it. Otherwise, you can always return to your favourite Dragon Mall to get the best deal for a masterpiece, that fills your empty stand. Good luck on that...

Ms B,
I thought she only attracts the opposite sex. Didn't expect she turned you on too...Hahaha.
And yet... you know what? The title is simply, 'Unnamed'. What the hell??? It's so unfitting...

Used to be one Msian restaurant in Dubai, but it's been closed. There's a Singapore Deli in Karama, I've been there once. I heard there's one in Sharjah and perhaps one in Abu Dhabi, but I have never been to any. Why? Are you coming over to open one???

FJ said...

I guess I love that girl painted on the wood block.
forlorn and unappealing. just like moi