Tuesday 19 May 2009

Many Happy Returns

Aimi is now seven. It is still clear in my mind that seven years back, I was sobbing shamelessly when I was alone at the hospital corridor. I lost all the ego and pride after going through an intense experience in one of the labour rooms in Putrajaya Hospital, after watching Aimi's head stuck on her way out and my wife kept pushing for hours. When my wife did the pushing, she squeezed my arms so I can imagine how painful it was. Aimi had somehow made a wrong turn just before her delivery. That had caused the complication. She was kind of hesitated to be with us. At one point in the labour room, I had thought of losing her. Eventually, with God's blessing she is now here with us in this world. Aimi's birthday is one of the most important event in my life. It is the day I have had the best gift from God which I have no words to express how thankful I am. So I travelled from the Middle East to Malaysia to be reunited with my girl. I was with my family, isolated and off lined to get the best out of the little time we had.



The simple celebration




She's not into any kind of dolls because they're not alive. Instead she loves animals.




She loves almost all sort of animals, including the slimy cold-blooded creature.



We're in our little hut seeing the rain


Indeed we had seen enough of the rain and when it stopped, we're thankful.



The girl and her father, messing with the sand.


At the floating edge feeling the wind and the waves

x x x x x x x x x

In one hot and humid afternoon, I dropped by at my son's school to see him in his Tae Kwando class. He was very happy to see me. He is a new kid in the arena. He just joined the class a couple of months back and has a white belt wrapped around his waist. In that class I can tell that in my presence, he has done his level best to show off all he's got. On our way home we had a little chat.

Me : Why is it so important that you must have the yellow belt, Dif Dif?
Hadiff : Neshan has a green belt. Kak Aimi has yellow. So I want to get the yellow and green belt too.
Me : I can see that you did great in there but did you do that because of your friend, your sister or me?
Hadiff : I told you that I want that yellow and green belt. My teacher says I 'm good.
Me : Of course you are. Then let's agree on something now. You want to get the yellow belt, then green and all the way to the black because you want to improve yourself, not because of your friend or Aimi or your teacher or me...
Hadiff : Papa, what's 'improve'?
Me : To do better la. And get better and better than who and what you're now. Your friend might go to a different school. Kak Aimi might find other interest. I might not be there to see all the great things you do. But if you do it because you want to improve yourself for the good reasons, then you'll always find yourself feeling good doing it. Got it?
Hadiff : Got it.




I am not sure how much of the idea of self-drive to self-improvement has really sunk in his head. I am not sure how much he has understood the depth of our little conversation. My point is that I will not be there to motivate him in all his future undertakings. I wish he is aware that within himself, there is a source of inspiration and motivation and this will make him mentally strong to survive even when he is alone in the barren desert. He did not say ' fifty, fifty ' this time. I'm sure one day he will get it.


x x x x x x x x x x


My wife has finally made her decision to sub-specialize in neurology, despite her initial intention to be a cardiologist. This has a lot to do with me being away and the kids' well being. Being a neurologist, she can spend more time with the kids since there will be less time in the hospital doing the on-calls and etcetera. I respect her decision which is purely a mother's sacrifice. She has put aside her own interest. Her decision has somehow disappointed her boss and the team in cardiology. Anyhow, she will be graduating with masters in internal medicine in August. Insyallah, I will be there to see her walk the stage to receive her masters. I still feel bad for not attending her graduation in Tasmania, years back.





It is going to be a while for me before my next home trip in August. This beautiful image of home is a magnetized milestone that keeps pulling me back.



13 comments:

Roti Kacang Merah said...

tah kenapa i read this post of yours and got melancholic. i had tears in my eyes. it's just so inspiring. i just realized that there's so much void in my life that i've yet had it fulfilled. or perhaps i haven't been thankful enough for the things i'm blessed with.

wish there are more entries about your trip back home! best sangat baca!

and my utmost respect to your wifey for the sacrifices she's decided to. sangat memberi inspirasi! you're so lucky lucky lucky all over, mate!

azizi said...

nice!.....
give and take.
pure sacrifice.
sometimes there are many things hidden, shrouded by misery, and makes one unable to see the truth of it.
as a matter of fact, there is a line of hope shines at the end. happiness.
all the best.

Ms B said...

waa.. I take of my hat to your daughter for having the snake around her!

And so to your wife. I know how she feels as I too decided to take a setback in my career by drawing the line in the number of hours and stress level. Eventually I still got the promotion but I'm sure if I continued what I did before, it would have been in my hands much earlier. Then again, I would probably be missing those kodak moments. So yes, the setback was rewarding.

Oh, wifey will be the female version of McDreamy?

Inah said...

this entry seems so sincere..bout ur wife lagi inah rasa touched..she's willing to sacrifice for the sake of family..how i wish i can be like her :)

one day perhaps :)

inah dah ada d KL ni :)

niQue_naQ said...

owh patutlah lama x update, balik kampung rupa nya hehe :) hope u had a wonderful time wit yr family, tis sad to be far away from yr loved ones huhu

[danial][ma] said...

hej! Jumper...may you and family especially your little princess, little prince and queen of your heart will have many happy returns in whatever they choose...;-)

ms.d said...

hello jumper..

happy belated birthday to aimi!!

i enjoyed reading this entry!!
You're lucky to have such a beautiful family...

oh, beach tu tak mana? and 'little hut' seems attractive...love the view...even it was raining..

:D

AiWongKa said...

where on earth is this nice place in the picture...nowhere near KL? Happy belated bday to father & daughter...

Syamsulfaiz said...

Happy belated birthday Aimi ! I hope someday I will be able to see you in person and asked you how to handle a snake like that.

Congrats to Mrs Jumper too !

Jumper, I have so much respect to you and your family man. It is not easy to be independently motivated and determined all the time but each member of your family seems to have been doing it really well.
I am glad that I know you in person. Your story and perspective motivates me to deal with my own struggle in life.

Jumper said...

RKM,
After reading your comment, I reread what I wrote. They're just plain words about an ordinary guy and his ordinary life. I'm glad they connect and make some sense to you. Yes, I am lucky. Thank you.


Azizi,
The words you typed in your comment are the essence of life, being a human. Thank you.


Ms B,
Most of us struggle to find the right work and life balance. You should be proud of yourself for finding and sustaining your balance; despite being a single mother raising a daughter in a foreign country. I take my hat to that...

Wifey? I don't know if it has anything to do with McDreamy. I thought it's just a word to pair up with 'hubby'.


Inah,
You will surely have your moments. One day you will...


niQue naQ,
Thanks for commenting.


Danial,
Thank you for the wonderful wish of yours.


Ms. d & Nyonya
Thank you.
It's at Berjaya, Langkawi.


Syamsulfaiz,
That's a flattering comment.
Thank you.
I have much respect of you too, being a humble and well read professional.

Nite Garden said...

I like this entry most n could feel the family value in every entity.. All of you are blessed to have each other..

Nite Garden said...

Btw the road seems familiar...

Jumper said...

Nite Garden,
Thank you. Thank God for all the blessings. The road is the road that leads to Tanjung Rhu, Langkawi. It's a scenic, shaded and peaceful road.