Sunday 28 September 2008

The Man Who Has The Lists

The few days before any D-day would surely drain my energy. This time with low energy level in the holy month of Ramadan, I really have to ensure that no energy is wasted doing double jobs, regretting the oversight of things and worrying over the uncertainties. So I have the following lists to help me in setting up priorities and more importantly, setting up the mind to get things done.




1) To-do list before flying home


2) To-do list during my Eid vacation




But years before, I had the perception that having a list is a girly thing to do. I guess it came from the typical scenes of young girls like Hannah Montana dooddling over the details in their pink strawberry notebook getting ready for the upcoming party or.... the scenes of desperate house-wives pushing trolleys in the hypermarket with the shopping lists guiding their way. Manly man like Jason Bourne, apparently executes his heroic tasks without referring to any list, as shown in the silver screen. So, at one time of my life, I went about doing my things without any lists, relying heavily on mental notes. It was all right. Most of the things got done and going. Some, very few things slipped my mind, but I got back at them, in time. What missing was the simple pleasure of striking the things that you have done on the list. The mind was busy thinking what's next, little had been done to track and treat the milestone covered. This was how it struck me. I was on my way to see NI-san, my Production Manager in my first company. NI-san hailed from Japan and he has inspired me a lot. I was standing outside his office. NI-san was alone in his room. I saw him clapping his hands, grinning from ear to ear and in the process of doing all these, he tilted his head from left to right and right to left like Telletubbies.

"NI-san... what's up?", I asked.

"I was so happy that I have completed this one thing in my list that I thought could never be done....", he replied, looking very satisfied.


Of course, I can't bring myself to do exactly what NI-san did. I still think what NI did, is not befitting the Bourne's identity of the manly man that I still stuck with. But I have made lists now and have learnt to celebrate the sense of completeness felt at the moment of striking the things done on my list. It gets better with the task with higher degree of difficulty. It gets to the climax with the task which I thought impossible. Nevertheless, I always caution myself to keep a well-balanced list.

On top of the list of things to do before I leave Dubai to Durian-land for my Eid vacation, is getting lots of chocolates and completing a distribution list. After this one is done, checked and ticked, little space left in my luggage, for other things. So the 20% headspace is for my underwears, shorts, running shoes, socks, toiletries and little souvenirs.





Next to it, is getting the some gifts that I will have to hand carry. The last item on the list, is checking the travelling documents and cash in the wallet. So I'm done with this list.

I could have a long list of what I hate or unhappy about Durian-land, its government, its people, its people against the government and so on. But then, it's a place I call home and it is beautiful in many aspects. So here are 7 items in the list of things to do in Durian-land during my 11-day Eid vacation. Note also the degree of difficulty : H (High) M (medium) L (very easy!)

1. Running in the rain (how I really miss the rain) [M]


2. Playing with the kids (toying, flying kites, bicycling) [L]


3. Reading with the kids (2 books with my daughter, 1 with my son - the one with my son could be of a great challenge) [H]


4. Swimming in the river, sea and swimming pool. (After some time, I got pretty much dried up in Dubai) [M]


5. Meeting old friends at kedai mamak, kopitiam & souled-out [M]

6. Driving on Malaysian highway safely and smiling at each toll attendants I meet along the way [M]


7. Eating all the ketupat, rendang and all the raya stuffs but maintaining my weight at 72kg [H]


Of course, there are several other private items, if you know what I mean....which are better left in the mental notes, unwritten, open for imagination, of any kind.

What else??

I will have to make a list of people to receive my duit raya. It's a long list and I'll deal with it on the night before raya.

It's not in the list, but I just feel like saying it now, anyway.....Eid Mubarak...Selamat Hari Raya!..and I'm going home.

1 comment:

Roti Kacang Merah said...

i know la i'm one of those you hate ("people against the governement"?)... but those chocs look LOVELY! *hint hint*

my husband starts listing down things only after he's married to me... coz he realised what a dang good tool it is for his failing memory! haha

but i never thought of the perspective of striking the list out as means to 'celebrate accomplishments'! wot a great way to see The List in such manner!!!

hey have a great 11-days in m'sia with your loved ones, ya... and Eid Mubarak, too! minta maaf salah silap sementelah kita baru bersua kembali, albeit in Cyberlannd!