Monday 27 July 2009

Sadness

I don't get sad easily. In life I try hard to find the goodness and the greatness of things even for those that hurt. But sometimes when there are just too much sorrow displayed on the screen, I just have to let it be. Today I let myself be low and restless with sadness.


It started last night when I switched on the laptop to hook on the FB, I found myself muttering Al-Fathihah to the departure of two souls. First was the death of a storyteller whose work I really admire. It is such a big loss among Malaysian dwindling talents. Next, was the death of a university friend. He worked with primates and studied them in Sabah and he had earned a PhD for doing that. I just feel sad thinking that their deaths are sudden and untimely. There must have been many things left undone and unsaid. Anyway who am I to complain in the matter of life and death. I might be next on the list, one can never tell.

Also in the FB, today, an ex-colleague left a farewell message that is really touching. He was sacked for being himself, an abrasive Egyptian. There are other terminations before. But this one is sudden and untimely. He just got married. He has brought his wife weeks before, from Egypt to Dubai. Now he is jobless and in a month time they have to leave Dubai. Isn't it ironic? He might have his ego. He might be careless. He might struggle to fit into the template of associate profile the company prefers. But I think his termination is not justified. He can be warned and given feedback to improve. I am planning to talk this matter to my superior since it affects my sense of job security and peace of mind at work, apart from being sad and sympathetic for the dismissed friend. I'm sure they are prepared to give all the politically right reasons for the decision, but at least they will see the sign that many of us are not happy with the way it was handled and the inhumane outcome.


Of all the above, the one that really makes me sad the most is to see the photo of my little boy on my mobile phone screen, who is now down with fever. This is the boy who fell down from the bed just weeks before I came home in my last homecoming in April. Now when I only have less than 2 weeks before I return home, he's unwell. How I wish I could be there to hug him, kiss him and take away his heat and misery. And also the sad look of his lonely sister waiting for him to get well soon, to play with, just adds another pinch of salt into the already salty sadness........




8 comments:

ms.d said...

dear jumper,

somehow, i felt the sadness reading your entry... things happened...

i had chicken pox last 2 weeks...never know where i got it from...it was just so sudden..never met anyone with chicken pox before and never had chicken pox in my life before.. so yeahh... things like this will always come and go... we never know what will happen next..all we have to do is pray and do the best that we can...

wish your son will get well soon!

AiWongKa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AiWongKa said...

Things happened for a reason. It's mental 'exercise' for each of us.

Wish your son speedy recovery.

Rip Yasmin, an ex-colleague, whose work & thought-provoking ads/movies had pierced many hearts & mended many minds.

hady said...

same goes here...
although i never bump into yasmin ahmad
but im his blog follower
been interacted with her thru her blog for several times
i love all of her works
and what most important, i think she got a pure heart - filled with pure love
alfatihah for her

and hope your son will get well soon
you such a lovely father

selamat pulang ke kampung!

azizi said...

people come and go.
i guess this is one of what life is meant to many of us.
sadness, misery, altogether.
but pretty strange sometimes there is a resilient voice within inner you, for a wake up call.
Alas, i believe, God has a better plan. As always. Life is full with many surprises.
Al-fatihah for Yasmin Ahmad and your friend. Their legacy will continue. Will be there.

Jumper said...

ms.d
Pity you and thankfully it's over now that life can go on as usual for you.
Thank you for your wish to my boy.

Nyonya,
Thank you for your wish to my boy.

hady,
She was one dedicated artist.
Her works remain to inspire many.
Lovely father or loving father? I hope you meant the latter. Thank you. I wouldn't know how to react if I am perceived as 'lovely' father.

Azizi,
Thanks for your positive and constructive comment.

Ms B said...

I know the feeling, esp when I'm away for work and the young lady is doing poorly at home.

I hope your boy gets better soon. Bet the kids look forward to your trip.

hady said...

demmit...

loving father!

my mistake! hahaha..