Wednesday 22 April 2009

Missed Calls of Misery

We have this machine, named ML1, in the chocolate factory. It has the lowest reliability performance in the last week report. And the week before. And weeks before. The reliability team for this machine has been under a lot of pressure to get the machine up and running, from the current 57% reliability to the target 80%. The expert for this machine from the reliability team was Gordon.

I was with Gordon in the office last night. We had a long trouble shooting and adjustment work at ML1. The cooling tunnel got stuck very frequently of late. There were mechanical misalignments at many critical points. Each time it happened, the chocolate got too cold due to the long storage and formed cracked lines. We had big time downtime to remove all the chocolate and to rework it. Gordon was our man to lead the corrective work. He has done all the precise alignments and new settings adjustment of the cooling tunnel. So we had this little talk in the office at 11PM last night.

Gordon : I'm leaving after 11PM. Since 7PM we don't have any carriage jam.
Myself : Tell me what you've done today.

My tone was a little sarcastic since I have heard the same assurance since few weeks but the problem kept coming back. He sensed that I was not convinced. So he took the trouble to take a piece of fresh paper and illustrate all his work today. In order not to discourage him, I was patiently listening to his explanation. It seemed endless, then I cut him.

Myself : Hey Gordon, we bought KFCs for the contractors working extra hours today. There are a few packs extra. Grab one before you go home, will you?

Gordon smiled at my thoughtfulness. He ended his explanation and headed to the cafeteria.
I was minding my own affair in the office. The server has been down. My work has been slowed. After about half an hour, Gordon came back with a happy full stomach. I signed off his late night transport arrangement.

Myself : Thank you for tonight. But stay tuned. I might call you up if we face a problem again.
Gordon : Ok.

He left the factory close to midnight. I left hours later. The next morning I woke up late. When I woke up my phone battery was low. So I charged it by my bedside. I left my apartment to pay some bills and did a little shopping at the Mall of Emirates. I'm flying home this Friday and I haven't bought anything to pack along. I spent hours there without carrying my mobile phone. When I got home, I had 7 missed calls. I noticed one of the numbers was my wife's. So I dialled.

My son Hadiff fell down from bed this morning. He has bruises on his cheek. He is in paediatric ward for further monitoring after he vomitted twice. My wife said there is nothing to worry. It's just a formality in paediatric practice just to be certain. It is a huge relief but the thought of my little boy sleeping in the hospital gives me some kind of uneasiness. Next, I dialled the other missed call. It was my counterpart, Harry's. Harry answered my call.

Harry : Man, we called you many many times. Have you heard?
Myself : What's wrong?
Harry : Gordon passed away.

It was hard for me to swallow. The man was with me last night. He was very much alive - no sign of dying, not at all.

Gordon has been with the company for a good 10 years. He died today of heart failure at the age close to 40. Life is short. Death seizes us without warning. I was one of those who occasionally pushed him to get results. He tried hard to prove himself. It might as well be that damn f***ing old machine and it's stupid design that stressed him up and killed him. It is a depressive thought that I was also playing a part when I was thinking of the possibilities of factors that push him to his early exit, leaving his wife alone in this world to raise his three young daughters. What a misery.

12 comments:

Inah said...

OMG..what a story..yeap life is short..dont blame urself for it though..

Syamsulfaiz said...

Jumper, I am sorry for your loss. May God ease the burden of Gordon's family.
Life and Death are matters of God. There is nothing we can do (or should have done) to change it.

Ms B said...

In my line of work, we age faster due to the stress. Common reason for death is heart attack.

Thus, I learn to slow down and to keep the stress level low among my staff. This is also among the traits I could see in the new rising management team.

Sorry to hear about it. Thank you for sharing this post. Maybe the snippets will make us appreciate life more.

pugly said...

I know how guilty you might feel at Gordon's death - that somehow, someway, you are the cause of it.

But nothing is as certain as death. Before we were even born into this world, the one thing that has been determined by Him upon us is the date and time of our deaths. So it isn't you, it's simply the fact that his time is up.

So stop beating yourself up over it. We wouldn't want you to suffer a heart attack next now, would we?

orangmuar said...

My condolence to Gordon family and children... I am very sorry to hear this. Sometime the line between the demised and the living is very thin. Be strong my friend. Take some time to cool down.
Last time during my project for a TV broadcaster, an accident happened which caused the life of 5 riggers.. their gondola for climbing the tower, snapped and fall from the height of around 80m... 5 families lost their loved one.
And the day before that, I work there till late evening just about 20m from the exact spot..... probably during that time, the Angel of Death pay a visit to execute the duty the next day...

hady said...

Jumper

im sorry to hear that
no need to blame urself
as i believed ajal, maut di tangan tuhan
even if the machine was fine
kalau tuhan dah tetapkan maut dia at that day, dia tetap akan passed away...

azizi said...

oh mine.
hmmm, life is too short.
cherish all things we are having, before there is no point of return.
..
you may have guilt over it, but when it comes, it comes. do not take it too hard. and you're not at fault.

Roti Kacang Merah said...

what a sad entry...must've been quite a shock to you and your colleagues.

bila ajal dah tiba, ia akan tiba. tak kira pasal the machine ke...even on holidays.

[that reminds me -- you remember Natasmi Amri @ Nas? He passed away of heart-attack while on holiday in Egypt with his family. He was only 31, and left two kids]

hey, a happy happy birthday to your anak dara, eh? hope your anak bujang's doing okay by the time you're back in M'sia [like, by now, no?], and salam to your lovely wifey too!

have fun, you!

Al Khalifah said...

Chilled out Jumper....take it ez.

Syamsulfaiz said...

jumper, wassup bro. Marila keluar minum. Where is your latest posting? You have an obligation to us your blog readers, to update your blog.

hady said...

oh, saya sokong shamsul

sila tunjukkan muka

ok, kalau pemalu sangat

sila tunjukkan entry post baru!

Jumper said...

Inah,
I somehow did blame myself but I'm over it. Thanks.

Syamsulfaiz,
True.
Let's have a cuppa someday.
Sorry for not updating.

Ms B,
It's a good thing to have a speedometer with limit to tell us to slow down. Sometimes we just don't realize how we rush ourselves and others. Hope life is well for you and those around you.

Pugs,
Thanks for dropping by. I'm doing a pretty good cardio work out to prevent my heart fails pre-maturely. Hope it works.

Orangmuar,
That was tragic.It makes me wonder whether I'm strong enough to face the consequences of losing the loved ones.

hady,
Maybe I am (I mean 'pemalu') so I have already posted my new entry. Come on la brader, u pun selalu lambat post new entry...

azizi,
thanks for the comforting words.

RKM,
Cicak is dead! I didn't know that. When we're in Jasin, he's my LDP buddy to be in the same posting at the main gate or in the announcement room. I copied many add math solutions from him while we're in duty. May Allah blessed his soul.
Thanks for the wishes.

Al Khalifa,
Thanks for the concern.